The us president, Donald Trump has estimated that saudi Arabia could be behind the disappearance in Istanbul of Jamal Khashoggi, the threatening in this case” a severe punishment “, while Riyadh denies having given the order to kill this dissident journalist. “In the current state of things, it seems that perhaps we are not going to see it again, and it’s very sad,” Saturday said Donald Trump about the journalist. “Our first hope was that he had not been killed, but it may be that things do not announce them well,” he added.

he said He would call Saturday night or on Sunday king Salman of saudi Arabia. A saudi arabian delegation should talk this weekend in Ankara with Turkish officials in the framework of the investigation on this case, which has aroused the deep concern of several western countries, including the United States, where Jamal Khashoggi was in exile in 2017. But Ankara has been criticised as Saturday in Riyadh not to cooperate, and in particular not to allow the investigators access to the consulate of saudi Arabia in Istanbul, where the journalist was last seen on 2 October.

” For the moment, they (the Saudis, editor’s NOTE) deny (their involvement) and the belie vigorously. Is it that it could be them ? Yes, ” had also said Donald Trump in an interview with CBS television, recorded Thursday and broadcast on Saturday. He added that if saudi Arabia was actually responsible, there would be ” a severe punishment “. “What has been reported about orders to kill him is a lie and an allegation is unfounded,” his side responded to Saturday –in remarks reproduced by the official news agency SPA, the saudi minister of the Interior Abdel Aziz ben Saoud ben Nayef. It is, he says, ” false accusations against saudi Arabia “.

saudi arabian Delegation in Ankara

Jamal Khashoggi, a critic of the crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, and collaborated in particular with the Washington Post, was made on 2 October at the saudi consulate in Istanbul, who need a document necessary for her future marriage. Four days later, Turkish officials quoted by the media claimed he had been killed in this building. Claims immediately qualified as “unfounded” by saudi Arabia, all the more embarrassed by this case that it is to host an economic summit of leading from 23 to 25 October.

The saudi delegation arrived Friday in Ankara must take part in the work of a working group on the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi, the creation of which was announced by the spokesperson of Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan. This delegation is made up of eleven people and has inspected Friday, the consulate of saudi Arabia in Istanbul, after the Turkish tv channel NTV. Its composition remained unknown.

Ankara finds, however, that the investigation has stalled, in front of the lack of cooperation from the Saudis. “We have not yet seen cooperation as the investigation unfolds easily and that all the light is made. This is what we want to see, ” said the Turkish foreign minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu to the national news agency Anadolu, during an official visit to London. The minister urged saudi Arabia to leave the “prosecutors and experts to penetrate into the consulate” to be able to carry out their investigations.

A “watch smart”

According to the daily Turkish Sözcü and Milliyet, Jamal Khashoggi was wearing when he went to the consulate, a “watch smart” connected to a phone he had left in the hands of his fiancée, Hatice Cengiz. They say that audio recordings have been sent to the phone, and are currently being reviewed by Turkish justice. If, however, Milliyet states that shouting and a quarrel have been recorded, Sözcü advance that dialogue, but no screams, can be heard in this recording of ” a few minutes “.

The Turkish newspaper close to the government Sabah says that the watch Jamal Khashoggi has recorded his ” interrogation “, “torture” he was subjected to, and his “murder” to the inside of the mission of saudi arabia. According to the Washington Post, Ankara has told the United States to hold audio and video recordings showing how Jamal Khashoggi had been ” interrogated, tortured and then killed inside the consulate, before his body was dismembered. Riyadh has claimed that the cameras in the building were not working that day. According to the Turkish police, a group of 15 Saudis had arrived by plane on October 2 in Istanbul, and provide the Turkish media, the men were then gone to kill the journalist before leaving Turkey.

The case Khashoggi has cooled down investors who were excited yet a year ago for the gigantic economic projects of the crown prince, as the british billionaire Richard Branson, who has frozen a number of projects in the kingdom. Partners such as the Financial Times, the New York Times and The Economist have withdrawn their support to the second edition of the summit’s Future Investment Initiative, from 23 to 25 October in Riyadh. And if the director-general of the international monetary Fund (IMF) Christine Lagarde has confirmed its intention to participate, she said she was “horrified” by the case of Khashoggi.

Read also : Turkey: mysterious disappearance of a journalist from saudi-arabia

On the same subject, the Disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi : saudi Arabia broods in silence